Forum

Logfile rotation

Nassim
7 November 2012, 12:41
Hi,

I am trying currently hiawatha on my personnal server and I have a question about the log files, I would like to know whether the setting "AccessLogfile" automatically rotates the logfile or of I have to do this via an external program like logrotate.

Hiawatha version: 8.6 (using the DEB package provided by Chris Wadge)
Operating System: Ubuntu 12.04 LTS (64bits)
Hugo Leisink
7 November 2012, 13:48
Hiawatha does not rotate logfiles. So, yes, you have to use a tool like logrotate.
Nassim
7 November 2012, 15:13
That's what I thought. I think I'll repackage Hiawatha to better fit the file layout in Debian/Ubuntu and properly manage log rotation. .

Thanks a lot and sorry for my english
Hugo Leisink
7 November 2012, 17:00
What is not right with the file layout in the Hiawatha package that is created by the make_debian_package script?
Nassim
7 November 2012, 20:12
In the DEB package that I have used :

1/ Hiawatha is running using the user NOBODY by default. By convention it should run as user www-data.
2/ As Apache and Nginx are packaged under debian, it should have directories like /etc/hiawatha/sites-available and /etc/hiawatha/sites-enabled for the vhosts configuration. We can also image to add a directory /etc/hiawatha/urltoolkit to store the different toolkits.
3/ The logrorate conf file provided by the DEB package applies only to the access log, we could complete it for managing all logs.

These are only suggestions for improvement, the DEB package in question is fully functional in the state.

Hugo Leisink
8 November 2012, 00:06
1) that's funny, I fixed that yesterday evening
2) well, since Hiawatha doesn't install any websites by default, I don't see any point in creating some empty directories. They are easily created manually.
3) I'll take a look at it.
This topic has been closed.