Forum

Hostname confusion

John Doe
7 August 2013, 19:22
Hi all,

I'm struggling to set up Hiawatha. The default configuration works out-of-the-box, but I'm confused what hostname/IP to put in the hiawatha.conf file.

I've got a domain name pointing via DynDNS to the external IP given by my internet provivder, which is then forwarded by my router to the internal IP of the server running Hiawatha. The server itself has its own local hostname and, of course, IP 127.0.0.1

Now, what do I have to put in the config for both hostname of default website and hostname of virtual host? Domain name? External IP? Internal IP? Local hostname? 127.0.0.1?

Thanks!

Hiawatha version: 9.2
Operating System: Arch Linux
Klemens
8 August 2013, 18:47
Just use your dyndns hostname for the virtual host and your local IP (or just 127.0.0.1, the hostname of the default host is not really important) for the default host.

In detail: When you request a website with your browser, the domain part of the url you entered (hostname) is compared with the hostname settings of all virtual hosts and the matching one is selected. If there is no match, the default host is used. So if you want to website to by available over http://myhost.dyn.any/* then your hostname should be "myhost.dyn.any".
This topic has been closed.