Forum

TimeForRequest question

Chris
14 September 2013, 21:43
Hiawatha version: 9.2
Operating System: FreeBSD 9.1

I recently turned on BanOnTimeout and started getting "Client banned because of connection timeout" in /var/log/hiawatha/system.log. I'm using the default TimeForRequest values.

Can you provide more detail about TimeForRequest works? The man page says "Maximum time in seconds for a client to send its HTTP request".

When does the TimeForRequest timer start and stop?

Thanks
Hugo Leisink
15 September 2013, 12:09
TimeForRequest sets the amount of seconds Hiawatha will wait for a client to send its request. If you specify two options, the first option is the amount of seconds for the first request and the second for all other requests (thus specifies the keep-alive time).
Chris
16 September 2013, 05:30
What does "wait for a client to send its request" mean? How do you know when a client will send a request?
Hugo Leisink
16 September 2013, 14:18
It means the time between the moment the client connects and it actually sends a HTTP request.

You don't know when a client sends a request. It's possible that a client connects and never sends any HTTP request.
Chris
18 September 2013, 02:40
Thanks. Does "the moment the client connects" mean the time the first TCP SYN packet from the client to port 80 arrives? (assuming Hiawatha is bound to port 80)
Hugo Leisink
18 September 2013, 07:48
Hmmm, are you kidding me? No offense, but if you know about TCP SYN, I'm sure you're smart enough to know what I mean with 'the moment the client connects'...
Chris
19 September 2013, 00:31
Not kidding, it's not clear to me. Trying to debug why some clients are getting banned for connection timeouts . Using Wireshark to watch packets.
This topic has been closed.