Forum

Error

Guest123
27 January 2007, 20:14
When typing Hiawatha into the command line, I get

Error binding 0.0.0.0:80 any idea what this is?

And does hiawatha come with a manual or something?

I'm already in love with this webserver. I just need a little help.

Thanks
Hugo Leisink
28 January 2007, 01:31
When typing Hiawatha into the command line, I get

Error binding 0.0.0.0:80 any idea what this is?

That means that the webserver can't open port 80 for incoming connections. This means that you are not root OR that another program is already listening at port 80.

And does hiawatha come with a manual or something?

Yes. I don't know how you installed it (tarball or .deb file) but in both ways, a manual page is installed. Just type 'man hiawatha' at your prompt

I'm already in love with this webserver. I just need a little help.
Thanks

Sure, that's what this forum is for. I really appriciate if you can give me some feedback about what you like and specially don't like about Hiawatha. So I can further improve it.
Guest123
28 January 2007, 06:31
Yeah I'm probably getting that error because I installed from both the tarball and the .deb.

I'm reformatting now just to get a clean install.

Yeah the manual is great, I only wish it came in a pdf so I could print it.
Hugo Leisink
28 January 2007, 10:54
Yeah I'm probably getting that error because I installed from both the tarball and the .deb.

I'm sure that couldn't be the problem. The problem is very likely to be one of the two described in my previous post.

I'm reformatting now just to get a clean install.

removing the package can be done by 'dpkg --purge hiawatha' for the .deb file and 'make deinstall' for the .tar.gz file.

Yeah the manual is great, I only wish it came in a pdf so I could print it.

A PDF can be created with 'man -t hiawatha | ps2pdf - > hiawatha.pdf'. I've already done that for you, so you can also download the manpage here: http://projects.leisink.org/hiawatha.pdf
Guest123
30 January 2007, 00:40
Hmmm I did a clean install of Debian Etch, downloaded Hiawatha.deb and used dpkg -i hiawatha.deb to install. It said there were dependency errors, so I did apt-get -f install to correct the dependency errors.

It now installs hiawatha and the dependencie's. It says starting Hiawatha.

It goes back to the main prompt where I type in 'hiawatha' without the quotes.

error binding 0.0.0.0:80

Weird. I only installed the standard system with debian. No webserver nothing.

The only thing I installed since the system was reformatted was lynx. I used lynx to download the .deb file.

Btw thanks a ton for that pdf.
Hugo Leisink
30 January 2007, 10:30
Hmmm I did a clean install of Debian Etch, downloaded Hiawatha.deb and used dpkg -i hiawatha.deb to install. It said there were dependency errors, so I did apt-get -f install to correct the dependency errors.

First of all, the hiawatha .deb files are made for Debian 3.1 Sarge. If you want a package for Etch, install some build-packages with

apt-get install libc6-dev libssl-dev dpkg-dev debmake fakeroot

After that, ownload the hiawatha-5.5.tar.gz file, unzip it, go to the created directory and type:

./configure
make deb

This will build a package. Go one directory back, there you'll find your Etch .deb file.

It now installs hiawatha and the dependencie's. It says starting Hiawatha.

It goes back to the main prompt where I type in 'hiawatha' without the quotes.

error binding 0.0.0.0:80

This looks like you've started Hiawatha en then try to start it again. This will fail of course, since 80 is already binded to the first instance of Hiawatha. Start a browser and use the IP of your Debian machine as the URL.

Weird. I only installed the standard system with debian. No webserver nothing.

The only thing I installed since the system was reformatted was lynx. I used lynx to download the .deb file.

Btw thanks a ton for that pdf.

The .deb file installes a start/stop script in /etc/init.d Use '/etc/init.d/hiawatha start' to start the Hiawatha webserver and '/etc/init.d/hiawatha stop' to stop the webserver. Don't run the hiawatha executable directly, unless you know what you are doing.
31 January 2007, 19:38
Mind telling me what libararies are needed to compile this?

I've downloaded Gcc, and i'm still getting errors so I know that alone won't cut it.
Hugo Leisink
31 January 2007, 20:20
Please tell me what errors you get. I need those to tell you what packages you must install.
31 January 2007, 20:53
It says "Newly created files are older than distributed files. Please check your system clock!"

But it has nothing to do with the system clock this happened to me before.

I had to apt-get install a library, and the error would go away. But I can't remember which library.
31 January 2007, 23:53
try the 'ntpdate' package
1 February 2007, 00:00
Nope still the same problem. It's really weird.
Hugo Leisink
1 February 2007, 00:26
Hmmm, then I don' know. It's always hard to see what the problem is when I 'm not behind the computer. But this time issue shouldn't prevent you from building a .deb file, does it?
1 February 2007, 00:35
Yeah it does.

What i'm going to try and do is download the debian etch binary cd 1 & 2.

To see if it comes with all these libraries installed.

Because the debian etch netinst didn't.
1 February 2007, 02:08
Ok thanks for the help!

I can't compile it from the source, but the .deb works on etch just as well as sarge.

And the reason why I got the error: 0.0.0.0:80 binding error, was because hiawatha was already started.
Using these instruct
30 August 2009, 20:58
http://samiux.wordpress.com/2009/08/30/howto-hiawatha-6-16-web-server-on-ubuntu-9-04-server/

Step 0 :

Install Ubuntu 9.04 Server and OpenSSH as usual. Make sure to perform the following.

sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get upgrade
sudo apt-get dist-upgrade

Step 1 :

Download Hiawatha, the current version at this writing is 6.16, at http://www.hiawatha-webserver.org/download.

sudo wget http://www.hiawatha-webserver.org/files/hiawatha-6.16.tar.gz
tar -xzvf hiawatha-6.16.tar.gz
cd hiawatha-6.16

Configure and compile the Hiawatha.

sudo apt-get install build-essentail libc6-dev libssl-dev dpkg-dev debhelper fakeroot libxml2-dev libxslt1-dev

sudo ./configure
sudo make deb

The deb package will be created at /home/samiux. You can install it by :

sudo dpkg -i hiawatha_6.16_amd64.deb

or

sudo dpkg -i hiawatha_6.16_i386.deb
This topic has been closed.