Forum

OK, I'm trying Banshee =)

Rodney Hester
15 March 2015, 04:30
I'm more or less trying to replace my existing blog software with it, because the demo on your page is _fast_, and lo and behold, even on my *extremely* modest server, it's still - FAST! Moreso than any PHP framework I've ever seen in my life, and I've played with one or a dozen.

All that having been said, a few really basic beginner questions (having honestly never used a true framework in my life):

- Is there any way to date weblog posts (from within the web UI)?
- Is there any way to support PHP markdown syntax when authoring the content (either with the basic editor or CKEditor)?
- If I wanted to integrate the included Captcha functionality (as seen in the demo) into the weblog comment area, how might I do that?

Very, VERY impressed with Banshee. WOW it is F-A-S-T! I ditched WordPress long ago for its sluggishness, and switched first to a bash-driven static solution, then was in the process of migrating to Pelican with isso commenting - and yes, I still want to see the Hiawatha beta where I can get creative with ReverseProxy. I tried WordPress again recently, and the sheer number of bugs and security holes in their XML RPC implementation just boggles the mind - it's things like that that give PHP such a bad name. But _holy smoke_...Banshee is almost as fast as my *static* site! I wouldn't have believed it if I hadn't seen it with my own eyes.

Anyway...if you're bored and have the time to help a newbie grasp how the above might be (cleanly, without breaking the framework! accomplished, I'd be very appreciative.

Rodney
Hugo Leisink
15 March 2015, 08:13
You have to know that, although Banshee has basic CMS functionality, Banshee is in fact a framework, not a CMS. This means that if you want to customize Banshee to your own needs, you need to do some programming. The basic CMS functionality is there just to make it easier and quicker to build a website with it.

So, yes, it is possible to date weblog posts and to support the PHP markdown syntax, but that requires that you do some PHP programming yourself. The captcha library can also be used in the weblog comment area. I strongly advice you to first start learning how Banshee works. Read the online docs (although basic, it should give you a brief idea about how Banshee works) and than simply start reading code. You will quickly discover that all controllers, models and views have the same structure. So, once you understand one module (which consists of a controller, model and view), you understand the rest.

I really believe that Banshee is a very good framework. But it was created for the power PHP user, not the lazy CMS clickers.
This topic has been closed.