Forum

Monitoring multiple servers, can't get a single one to monitor.

Alex
24 May 2015, 14:25
Hey there,

I tried to set up the monitoring page following the README,
copied the toolkit and vhost,
fixpath is still set to 0 (because generally using php-fpm),
register_globals is not even an php option anymore, got dropped
date.timezone is Europe/berlin.
I've inserted the user/db/pw combination, ran the database setup.
In crontab, I omitted the SHELL and MAILTO, because I saw no use in that.

Trying to run the scripts manually did not succeed either.

So I've got these 3 hiawatha webservers on 3 dedis, trying to figure out how to tell the 3 to report to server 1 of the 3, but even the single webserver setup did not work yet.

My server got 4 IPs, so I tried the first, the last and localhost as MonitorServer (which I define on global level), no chance in getting ANY statistics shown.
In an act of desperation I've even 777 chmodded the whole /var/www/monitor/ (where the monitor front page is found).

I don't know what else to do, is there a "monitor this vhost" directive which im missing? Does this only work with default logs? I'm giving every vhost its own logfiles.

Hiawatha version: Hiawatha v9.13, cache, IPv6, Monitor, reverse proxy, TLS (1.3.10), Tomahawk, URL toolkit, XSLT
Operating System: Fedora release 23 (Rawhide)
Hugo Leisink
25 May 2015, 21:47
Do the webservers you want to monitor collect data? You can check by looking if there are .txt.gz files in /var/lib/hiawatha/monitor.
Alex
26 May 2015, 16:51
Yes indeed, there are 6378 <unixtimestamp>.txt.gz files in that folder,
drwx------. 4 www-data www-data 4,0K 21. Mai 00:30 hiawatha

Considering that it is outside of /var/www/monitor (which makes sense securitywise), I guess it would need openbasedir from php?
Hugo Leisink
26 May 2015, 17:14
Ok, so your Hiawatha webserver collects the information. That's good. What you need is to set the MonitorServer setting. Its value is the IP address of the Monitor server (the IP-address from which it will connect to the Hiawatha webserver). In the CMS of the Monitor interface, you need to add your Hiawatha webserver as a webserver (Webserver administration page). After that, the fetch_webserver_logs script should be able to collect the information. Make sure that the Monitor server is able to connect to the Hiawatha webserver.
Alex
27 May 2015, 10:24
Oh well, my fault then.

I recommend notation that the webserver admin page is the little CMS link in the corner, for obtuse people.
Never would've thought of it, maybe if I had a look at banshee before.
Nevertheless stupid that I haven't even checked it.

Thanks for your time.

And it is indeed a great tool, I finally get a deeper look at the webservers job, 102k connections and 12 exploit attempts per day, sweet !
This topic has been closed.