Forum

New entries in webserver_user?

Stephen R. van den Berg
23 June 2016, 13:01
I'm probably overlooking something silly, but I have an otherwise working setup with monitor, it monitors four servers. On those servers I have about 200+ virtual servers (total). What I notice is that in the table webserver_user I need a single row per virtual server I want to monitor. Once the entries are there, I can hide or remove them using the /cms/hostname page.

But when I access new virtual hosts, not present in the list yet, the entries do not appear by themselves, and I don't know where to add them using the webinterface. Adding the manually in the webserver_user table works; but I cannot imagine that this is how it was supposed to work?
Hugo Leisink
23 June 2016, 13:04
Those entries appear when the fetch_webserver_logs script downloads new statistics information and sees a new hostname. How fast that happens depends on the time interval of the execution of that script.
Stephen R. van den Berg
23 June 2016, 13:19
Then there is something fishy going on. I have a setup which has been collecting data for at least six hours straight, the fetch_webserver_logs runs every 5 minutes, yet there are no entries in webserver_user. Any clues?
Hugo Leisink
23 June 2016, 17:56
Wait, the table webserver_user is to link users to webservers. That allows a user who can login to the Monitor site to view the statistics of a webserver. That has nothing to do with the hostnames served by a webserver.
Stephen R. van den Berg
26 June 2016, 00:57
Yes, so, what is the normal way to get new entries in that table?
Hugo Leisink
26 June 2016, 01:18
Via the Webserver administration page.
Stephen R. van den Berg
26 June 2016, 10:00
That /cms/webserver page allows me to specify the physical servers I want to collect from.
The webserver_user table connects virtualhosts with users. Adding/removing physical servers to/from /cms/webserver does not seem to alter the webserver_user table.
Stephen R. van den Berg
26 June 2016, 10:02
But, I have to admit that it seems that the webserver_user table is growing automatically in some ways. Could it be that it takes >24 hours for some reason before it adds entries?
Hugo Leisink
26 June 2016, 10:11
No, the webserver_user table links, as the name already suggests, webservers to users. The table host_statistics links a hostname to a webserver. Adding a server via /cms/webserver adds an entry to the table webservers. If you add users to a webserver, it will add entries to the table webserver_users. It will never 'grow automatically'.

When the fetch script sees a new hostname, it will add a new entry to the table hostnames and to host_statistics.
Stephen R. van den Berg
27 June 2016, 14:16
I see. How does one add users to a webserver then? Which CMS page?
Hugo Leisink
27 June 2016, 20:34
Via the Webserver administration page (link users to a webserver) or via the User administration page (link webservers to a user).
Stephen R. van den Berg
27 June 2016, 22:43
/cms/user/1 gives a 500 error here.
Hugo Leisink
27 June 2016, 22:50
What does the error logfile say?
Stephen R. van den Berg
28 June 2016, 12:04
It turned out to be a missing certfile directive. Problem solved, apologies for the confusion.
Hugo Leisink
30 June 2016, 00:41
No problem.
This topic has been closed.