Forum

ETag support for dynamic generated content

SaltwaterC
23 November 2009, 10:58
With the risk of bugging you with many feature requests, I couldn't find anything about the possibility of using the ETag header for the dynamic content http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/HTTP_ETag. As part of the HTTP 1.1 specification, the ETag header should improve the browser/web accelerator experience by not downloading the same dynamic generated content over and over again. Currently Hiawatha returns the 200 status for every dynamic script execution. It actually does the opposite by preventing any caching of that content.

I am insisting about the dynamic content because the Last-Modified header would do just fine for the static content, so it's not worth the effort of using ETag. But the generated content situation has the obvious question: the last modification of 'what'? There's no content on the disk in order to actually have the last modification.

Hiawatha version: 6.18
Operating System: Ubuntu Hardy, Debian Lenny
Hugo Leisink
24 November 2009, 00:58
I don't know about this one. Calculating an ETag means I have to buffer the entire content, because the ETag goes in the header... that's not cool.
SaltwaterC
24 November 2009, 08:38
OK, this was a 'nice to have' feature anyway.
This topic has been closed.