Forum

FastCGI and ShowIndex undesired behaviour

JanH
1 December 2009, 10:05
Hello, I am using both FastCGI and ShowIndex on one of my VirtualHosts. After Hiawatha restart, I receive the message: "Warning: both FastCGI and ShowIndex are enabled for host xyz. This can cause undesired behaviour." What kind of undesired behaviour should I expect? Temporarily I moved ShowIndex parameter into .hiawatha per directory settings. Can I still expect undesired behaviour for those directories, even if the warning is gone?
Thanks, -JaH

Hiawatha version: 6.18
Operating System: Ubuntu 9.10 KK
Hugo Leisink
5 December 2009, 19:24
Because a FastCGI daemon could be located on a different machine, Hiawatha will not check for file existence when using FastCGI. It uses the result of the FastCGI daemon to show the user if the file was found or not.

An index is shown when a directory is requested and no startfile could be found. If the startfile is a CGI process which should be executed via FastCGI, Hiawatha will not know if it should show the index or not, because it will not check for the existence of the CGI startfile.

The undesired behaviour is that no index is shown when a directory is requested.
JanH
10 December 2009, 13:22
Hi, I was not be able to replicate the "undesired" behaviour. In my example settings:

ShowIndex = yes
UseFastCGI = PHP5
StartFile = start.php

Hiawatha (v6.19) seems to work perfectly fine here, and shows directory index even if start.php is not present.
Is this happening only occassionally, or am I missing some setting?

Thanks for your reply
JanH
10 December 2009, 13:30
Strange: after I posted my last reply, I got the red line "Message seen as spam."
I clicked "Back" in Firefox, then "Resend", and website responded "Posting reply... wait to reload page" as usual, and my post is there.
Are there some posting/formatting rules I should use?
Hugo Leisink
10 December 2009, 14:03
With PHP it works fine indeed. But not all FastCGI daemons report errors (such as 404) the right way or report them at all.

About the spam message: I can tell you what probably went wrong, but I'm not going to post it here because then spammers can read about my anti-spam technique. Please, send me an e-mail and I'll tell you in the reply.
This topic has been closed.