Forum

Hiawtha is getting momentum recently!

Yassen Damyanov
10 May 2011, 11:49
Hugo and community,

It seems to me that hiawatha is really getting momentum recently! I know that Hugo often says "There are only few users" but how is that based on facts? I also do not have real statistics, but just google with 'hiawatha server' and jump over the official pages links. Compared to what was at the time I started to use hiawatha (it was v. 6.3) this is a **HUGE** growth! Tens and tens of blog posts and positive feedback! There was time when literally nobody knew of hiawatha, now it's different, indeed.

I would ask the community and Hugo to try keep up the good work that has been done for so many years. I think that one of the drawbacks of the site here is that there is no option for registration, so people cannot get feedback via email on posts in their threads, on bug reports, etc. This way we cannot stay in touch and cannot be brought together to be more like a community, help more with forum posts (those that are more experienced), etc.

Let us do something about it. Years ago I suggested using Redmine for handling the project and using some sort of version control system. Hugo thought about it, tested Redmine, found a security vulnerability and rejected it. Maybe we can think of it again? Or think of upgrading the current site application to handle such features as user reg and email notifications?

Feedback is more that appreciated, thanks everyone. (And BIG Thank You goes to Hugo for the continuous development effort for all these years!)
Hugo Leisink
10 May 2011, 20:56
Hi Yassen, good to hear from you again.

I also have noticed that Hiawatha received a little more attention the last few years. However, I have no indication that Hiawatha also has more users. The main reason for that is that there's still no big and well known website using Hiawatha.

However, I will keeping on working on Hiawatha, but for now I stick to what I wrote in the weblog article of march 9th. I will continue working on Hiawatha because I use it myself a lot. But I won't implement any feature requests. I will do bugfixes and add features if I or some friends of mine want / need it.

The rest of my programming time will go to Banshee [www.banshee-php.org]. Not that I think that Banshee will have many users some day, but I still have a lot of ideas for Banshee. To me, Hiawatha is quite done and finished.
This topic has been closed.