Forum

Just a thank you!

tda
4 June 2011, 19:17
Hi Hugo,

just wanted to say THANK YOU for bringing the hiawatha webserver and even better to provide a debian way of compiling a deb.
I do not know any other system that was so easy to set up and use.

Just a fresh debian, a "apt-get install build-essential" and following your documentation took less than 10 mins and the server was running.
That is so great! Keep up the good work.

If you want to get more attention for this fine webserver you should officially add it to the debian community. I guess that would give a boost both to the number of users and the visibility of this nice software product.

Cheers,
Torsten
Hugo Leisink
4 June 2011, 20:29
Thanks for your feedback. Good to hear you appreciate my work.

Believe me, I've tried to get Hiawatha included in Debian. Several others also tried it. But somehow, Debian is a very closed community. So, I gave up and added the "make deb" to Hiawatha as an alternative.
René
5 June 2011, 03:17
I was walking around for a few days with this idea but now I know that Hugo has tried this with Debian, I can only say that... maybe Ubuntu is another option.

I can't speak for the FreeBSD community but personally I know Hiawatha is highly appreciated.

And yes. Hiawatha is in ports and FreeBSD is picky on security!

Hugo Leisink
5 June 2011, 09:49
Tried Ubuntu also. Somebody made a start with it, but didn't finish it.
Rene2
8 June 2011, 23:13
Why don't you go after Minix http://www.minix3.org? They promote to be a secure operating system. At the moment I can't compile Hiawatha on Minix with the supplied gcc compiler. If it will work, you will have security++
Hugo Leisink
9 June 2011, 09:36
Thanks. I'll take a look at the compile error on Minix.
Rene2
14 June 2011, 13:21
Will you give an update about the compilation result on Minix? Thanks.
Hugo Leisink
14 June 2011, 14:37
I've installed Minux in VMware and did a quick compile. It looks like Minix doesn't support pthreads, which is kind of a show stopper for running Hiawatha on Minix. When I have more time I will give it a closer look. But at this moment I don't think Hiawatha will run on Minix. Looks like Minix is just not mature enough.
This topic has been closed.