Forum

Upgrading from 7.8.2 to 8.0

David Oliver
27 January 2012, 18:15
Are these instructions [www.hiawatha-webserver.org] still valid? I installed via Debian package.

Thanks.

Hiawatha version: 7.8.2
Operating System: Debian
Hugo Leisink
27 January 2012, 18:21
Yes, but the way the Debian package is created has been changed. Download and install the latest version of CMake. Unpack the Hiawatha source tarball and execute the script ./extra/make_debian_package. This will create a Debian package for you. Install the Debian package as usual.
Amar
29 January 2012, 22:50
Hello Hugo..

I am gonna have to sugest to do something so for ex. versions of cmake (dependencies) reflect those from Debian repos. I don't like to install anything that is not in repos and kinda dont like to have compilers in binary based distro (but if I install it from repos I can easily do apt-get remove after) : ).

For 8.0 I used package from tuxhelp.org but who knows how much will that one last : )

Hugo Leisink
30 January 2012, 08:57
I used to provide Debian-stable packages. But there are a lot of Debian based distro's. Many people used the Debian-stable for their non-Debian-stable installation. In several cases, this led to unexplainable incorrect behaviour. Because I was done solving other peoples problems because they refuses to follow a simple rule (only install this package on Debian-stable, for others build one yourself) I stopped providing the Debian-stable package.

To compensate this, I made it very easy to build a package yourself. Just install the required building tools (gcc, libraries, etc) and run a single script. It cannot be made more easier than that. And if you don't want a compiler on your system (I understand the reason), simply deinstall it after compiling Hiawatha.
Amar
30 January 2012, 14:28
Yes, but now extra/make_debian_package requires Cmake version that we have to pull from cmake.org (version in Debian repos is dependency old) which is not really "Debian kosher way" : )
Hugo Leisink
30 January 2012, 15:19
I know. But installing CMake in your own home directory doesn't affect the whole system. CMake is only required for compilation.

Although I do my best, unfortunately it's not possible to make everybody 100% satisfied.
This topic has been closed.