Forum

guppy in hiawatha

yoptralala
23 May 2010, 00:33

Hiawatha version: ?
Operating System: toutoulinux 4.12

hello
i try to understand how to see a cms like guppy in hiawatha. have i to install php or is it embeded with hiawatha? Can i serve many website or only one?

second question how see the web site in my browser? I only see congrtulations but not the guppy site (it have an index.php and not index.html)

Last questions how configure hiawatha for an group of three computers (server+two computers)?

Thanks for help and sorry for my poor english i'm french teacher nobody is perfect!

Hugo Leisink
23 May 2010, 07:41
1) Guppy CMS is a PHP webapplication, so you need PHP for that. Hiawatha is only a webserver, so you need to install PHP. Hiawatha can serve as many websites as you like and your machine is capable of handeling.

2) You probably have to define a virtual host for your guppy CMS. See the 4 chapter of the HOWTO.

3) The two computers are the clients I suppose? If your network is configured correctly, there's nothing to configure in Hiawatha. You probably want to be able to use hostnames instead of IP addresses in the URL. For that, just add a new hostname in your hosts file.
yoptralala
23 May 2010, 15:53
hi hugo
thank for responding

1) what php version must i install PACKAGE PET FOR TOUTOU LINUX OR SOURCE?

2) I WILL READ HOW TO AND COME BACK IF THERE IS OTHER QUESTIONS

3) wha is a correct configuration for a server and two clients for an intranet http webserver ? ( ip sub mask does it need gateway and what about dns? IS there an exemple of configuration files as in howto ?

by!

Hugo Leisink
23 May 2010, 23:45
1) I don't know Toutou Linux. You should ask around on their forum.

3) There are a lot of correct configurations possible for intranet servers. Which is the best for you depends on what you want. If you are not experienced enough with setting up a computer network, it's best to ask a friend or collegue to help you with that.
yoptralala
25 May 2010, 13:21
hi hugo,

i found a linux friend but more precisaly i want to do this http://www.browserpuppy.com/server.html and make others clients able to see the guppy website.
how configure the server to serve the ip clients
Hugo Leisink
25 May 2010, 14:57
You have to be more precise about what problems you have. Remember, this is a forum about the Hiawatha webserver, not about computer networks in general.
yopralala
30 May 2010, 19:16
sorry hugo

I'll try to kepp my questions about hiawatha

I had found on the web an os wich used hiawatha and php. It's work fine with my cms guppy.
But how install php in hiawatha?

What relation does exist between php and cgi? I don't understood that in the forum.

hanks for help and sorry to lose my way in my questions.

Hugo Leisink
30 May 2010, 19:33
CGI is a protocol to transfer information between a webserver and an application. Information about the request is send from the webserver to the application and the applicatio returns the result of the request (most of the time HTML), which the webserver sends back to the client.

PHP is a scripting language which understands the CGI protocol, so a lot of things are done for you as a programmer. If you would be using C as the language to build your web application, you would have to read the POST data from stdin, parse environment variables, etc. PHP does that for you. For example, all form data is placed in the $_POST variable and ready to use.

Although CGI is nothing than a protocol, the term is often used to indicate a 'web application'. PHP is just another web application language.

To use GuppyCMS, start with the following configuration.
CGIhandler = /usr/bin/php5-cgi:php

VirtualHost {
Hostname = your.hostname.com
WebsiteRoot = /path/to/guppycms
ExecuteCGI = yes
UseToolkit = guppycms
}

UrlToolkit {
ToolkitID = guppycms
Match \.(inc|dtb) DenyAccess
}

Remember, the configuration above is just to get you started. Read to HOWTO pages for more information about configuring Hiawatha.
This topic has been closed.